Re is a unique proven model of local authority partnership
Re is a partnership with a unique blend of private and public sector skills, ensuring that Barnet residents have access to modern, responsive and efficient council services.
Who we are
Regional Enterprise Ltd (Re) is the joint venture between the London Borough of Barnet and Capita. Our innovative commercial model was set up in 2013 and brings together the best of public and private sector delivery. Together we are providing new ways to deliver services for our customers to help meet the needs of local communities.
“Our work within Barnet strives to make the borough a more attract place to live, work and invest” - Joe Montgomery, Chairman of the Re joint venture board
Our Vision is to:
- Provide high-quality services at every point in the customer journey
- Ensure those services meet the strategic need of our community and stakeholders
- Grow our business by investing in additional opportunities which are self-funding and sustainable, both inside Barnet and for local authorities and private clients throughout London and the South East.
- Planning and development management
- Building control
- Land charges
- Environmental health
- Trading standards and licensing
- Strategic planning
- Cemetery and crematorium management
Since Re was created, we have:
- Reduced net operating costs for the London Borough of Barnet by 87% through generating guaranteed income
- Generated over £14m worth of new revenue
- Helped to increase the amount of local collectable tax (council tax and NDR) by £10.4m
- Introduced a new houses of multiple occupancy (HMO) licencing regime
- Increased the number of businesses liable for NDR by 6%
- Overseen the design and delivery of a £50m Highways Network Recovery Plan
- Increased the number households liable for the council tax by 4%
- Provided commissioned services to 14 other local authorities and public bodies
Introduction from Joe Montgomery, Chairman of the Re joint venture board
Since joining Re in 2015, our joint venture with Capita and the London Borough of Barnet has introduced new and innovative ways of working that are helping to improve the quality of services to both residents and local businesses.
Re has widened its customer base with our regulatory, development and property services now provided to 14 other local authorities and public bodies, generating over £14m in new revenue to date. A more commercial approach to generating income has reduced Barnet Councils net operating costs for the services we provide by 87% and has increased locally collectable tax by £9.5m.
Looking ahead, our work within Barnet strives to make the borough a more attractive place to live, work and invest by accelerating Barnet Council’s ambitious regeneration programmes. We are also focussed on growing our services outside of the borough to benefit other public service organisations across London and the South East to provide better services with greater efficiency. This will benefit both Barnet and the other communities we serve.
Chairman of the Re joint venture board