Making Barnet a cleaner, safer environment
Pest Control is a fast growing industry worth over £395m in the UK and growing by about 5.2% a year. Over a third of local authorities no longer provide pest control services and more are cutting or discontinuing their services, this is opening up more opportunities for reputable providers.
Our team at Re (the joint venture between Capita and the London Borough of Barnet) has developed an in-house pest control service which is able to offer competitive prices, contracts and expert knowledge. It can also offer discounts to Barnet residents on means tested benefits. Our pest control services include:
- treatments and charged consultations for residents for rats, mice, fleas, cockroaches, bedbugs, wasps, exotic ants, garden ants, moths and stored grain insects
- free pest identification service for samples sent in and a charged on site identification service
- treatments and contracts for other council departments and schools
- monitoring and treatment contracts for commercial premises.
We have been working hard to provide service improvements for residents. For example, our customers are now able to make payments over the phone through the Re Customers Service Hub, compared to the previous service which operated only on a cash or cheque payment basis. Further improvements to the service in 2015 included a dedicated phone extension and portable card readers for payments. It’s hoped this will enable the service to move away from cash and cheque payments almost completely, which will benefit customers and improve efficiency of the service.
Expanding the service
Key to our success is to expand our service to become an established and trusted partner for pest control services. We’ve had some significant successes since the contract began including:
- Being recognised as an alternative high quality provider of pest control services by Enfield Council in 2015. The service now receives over 20 requests on average per month from residents in Enfield.
- An additional 25 business treatments or monitoring contracts were established in 2015.
- We've secured a service contract with Barnet Homes to deliver monitoring and treatment on a major housing estate.
- We've developed our service offer to include additional pests, including moths, garden ants and other crawling insects.